The page numbers referred to in this text relate to the work copy of The Wish-fulfilling Golden Sun. When Rinpoche read directly from the text book it was not recorded here. These notes are his comments and explanations given during the reading.
The notes were taken longhand so there are a few minor omissions. Also, it is likely that there are some errors due to hearing incorrectly. Furthermore, in punctuating the text it is inevitable that some gross distortions of meaning have occurred, as a result of the complete lack of Dharma understanding in those responsible. The compilers apologize for all this and ask the forgiveness of the Holy Guru through whose infinite kindness this book appears. Yet they hope that it may be of some benefit to mother sentient beings - may all without exception be released from suffering now.
These talks generally follow the table of contents of the first half of The Wish-fulfilling Golden Sun. Therefore, we have used that outline to organize the contents of these teachings. The Index Page provides an outline of the topics discussed.
- The Mind is Beginningless
- But How is it Possible to Receive Enlightenment?
- The Lineage of the Mahayana Teachings
- The Visualization of Guru Shakyamuni
- Guru Shakyamuni Prayer
- Guru Shakyamuni Mantra
- The Teachings of the Direct Meditations
- The Eight Freedoms
- The Ten Endowments
- How is this Perfect Human Rebirth Useful?
- The Eight Worldly Dharmas
- Is it Easy to Receive the Perfect Human Rebirth?
- Meditation One: Part II: Impermanence and Death
- A Brief Explanation of Death...
- The Intermediate State (Bardo Body)
- Meditation Two: Part II: Refuge
- The Knowledge of Buddha
- The Seven Techniques of Mahayanic Cause and Effect (from later in the text)
- The Knowledge of Dharma
- The Knowledge of Sangha
- Instructions in the Practice of Refuge
- The Benefits of Taking Refuge
- Meditation Two: Part III: Karma
- The Ten Immoralities of Body, Speech and Mind
- Karma is Definite
- Karma is Expandable
- It is Impossible to Experience the Result...
- The Result of the Karma Created is Never Lost
- The General Sufferings of Samsara
- The Three Upper Realms of Suffering
- The First Noble Truth: True Suffering
- How Delusion and Karma Bind Us to Samsara...
NOTE: Rinpoche did not cover the remainder of the text.