The page numbers referred to in this text relate to the work copy of The Wish-fulfilling Golden Sun used at the Fifth (Nov-Dec 1973) and Sixth (Mar-Apr 1974) Meditation Courses. When Rinpoche read directly from the text book it was not recorded here. These notes are his comments and explanations given during the reading.
The notes were taken longhand so there are a few minor omissions. Also, it is likely that there are some errors due to hearing incorrectly. Furthermore, in punctuating the text it is inevitable that some gross distortions of meaning have occurred, as a result of the complete lack of Dharma understanding in those responsible. The compilers apologize for all this and ask the forgiveness of the Holy Guru through whose infinite kindness this book appears. Yet they hope that it may be of some benefit to mother sentient beings - may all without exception be released from suffering now.
These talks generally follow the table of contents of the first half of The Wish-fulfilling Golden Sun. Therefore, we have used that outline to organize the contents of these teachings.
- The Mind is Beginningless
- But How is it Possible to Receive Enlightenment?
- The Lineage of the Mahayana Teachings
- Morning Prayers
- Ecstatic Prostrating Meditation
- The Visualization of Guru Shakyamuni
- Guru Shakyamuni Prayer
- Guru Shakyamuni Mantra
- The Seven Branches
- Mandala Offering
- The Teachings of the Direct Meditations
Meditation One: Part I: The Perfect Human Rebirth
- Perfect Human Rebirth
- The Eight Freedoms
- The Ten Receptacles
- How is this Perfect Human Rebirth Useful?
Meditation One: Part I: The Perfect Human Rebirth (continued)
- The Eight Temporal Needs
Meditation One: Part I: The Perfect Human Rebirth (conclusion)
- How Should I Make this Perfect Human Rebirth Highly Meaningful?
- How Long is the Lifespan?
Meditation One: Part II: Impermanence and Death
- Remembering Impermanence and Death
- Is the Time of My Death Definite?
- Why Should I Be Afraid of Death?
- How Do My Attachments and Possessions Cause Suffering at the Time of Death?
The Enlightened One's Understanding of Evolution
- A Brief Explanation of Death...
- The Intermediate State (Bardo Body)
- Prayer to be Said After Meditation One
- Meditation Two: Part I: Three Lower Realms
- The Hells
- Bodhicitta (from later in WFGS)
Lower Realms (con't) and Refuge
- The Realm of the Pretas
- The Animal Realm
- Meditation Two: Part II: Refuge
- The Knowledge of Buddha
- The Knowledge of Dharma
- The Knowledge of Sangha
- Instructions in the Practice of Refuge
- The Benefits of Taking Refuge
- Meditation Two: Part III: Karma
- The Ten Immoralities of Body Speech and Mind
- Karma is Definite
- Karma is Expandable
- It is Impossible to Experience the Result...
- The Result of the Karma Created is Never Lost
- Prayer to be Said After Meditation Two
- Meditation Three
- The General Sufferings of Samsara
- What is Nirvana
- The First Noble Truth: True Suffering (out of order)
- The Mahayana Equilibrium Meditation (from later in WFGS)
The Four Noble Truths (continued)
- The Three Upper Realms of Suffering
- The Second Noble Truth: The True Cause: The Delusions
- How Delusion and Karma Bind Us to Samsara...
NOTE: Rinpoche did not cover the text past this point.
Appendix One: The Eight Mahayana Precepts
- From Kopan Courses 3 & 4