If you recite, or even see, touch or remember this mantra1:
1. It purifies the five heavy negative karmas without break, which cause you to be born in the most unbearable hell realm.
2. You will never be reborn in the lower realms.
3. For 100,000 eons you will achieve wheel-turning king.
4. If you recite seven mantras and then blow on a conch, drum or other musical instrument, hearing the sound of the conch or drum purifies the five heavy negative karmas without break, and that means hearing it purifies the ten nonvirtuous karmas by the way.
5. If a fully ordained monk has broken any of the four root vows, which causes rebirth in a hell realm, someone reciting this mantra and thinking of that monk causes him to be liberated immediately from the hell realm and get a higher rebirth.
6. It helps with healing if someone is sick.
7. If you recite this ten-syllable mantra 100,000 times, you will abide in the ten bhumis, with no returning from enlightenment. You will become Wheel Turning of the Crown Pinnacle of Lotus Having Meaning (Skt: Amoghapasha).
8. If you recite this mantra seven times every day for sentient beings, you will get the merits of tathagatas equaling the number of sand grains of the River Ganga. When you pass away you will then get born in the pure land of Amitabha, Blissful Realm, and you will achieve many hundreds of concentrations.
9. If you recite this on sand (or powder, water and so forth) then sprinkle it on corpses or bones of people or animals, even in a crematorium or on a funeral pyre, even if the person has broken root vows and due to that is to be born in the lower realms, their life will immediately change and they will definitely get reborn in a high realm.
10. If you recite the mantra on sandalwood incense and put your clothes over the smoke, and then wear those clothes, when you then go to see an important person to request something, it helps to bring success. Anybody who smells the incense or the scent of the incense on the clothes that you wear achieves the complete holy body of a buddha. It purifies the negative karmas and obscurations of that person. It also heals contagious disease; and you get liberated from enemies and thieves. It also frees animals that are bound and under the control of others.
1 The Lotus Pinnacle of Amoghapasha mantra is: OM PÄDMO USHNISHA VIMALE HUM PHAT. Lama Zopa Rinpoche calls this ten-syllable mantra the Stainless Lotus Pinnacle mantra, not to be confused with the Stainless Pinnacle mantra. Both these mantras can be found in FPMT's Ten Powerful Mantras to be Recited at the Time of Death. [Return to text]